A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 18 June 2012

MY Ovacome- with your help we can BEAT ovarian cancer!

Thank you for showing an interest in my blog. Ovarian Cancer is often referred to as the ‘silent killer’ because most women don’t discover they have the disease early enough for treatment to be successful. Raising awareness of the early symptoms of ovarian cancer is something I feel very strongly about as my Grandma, Margaret Walsh, sadly passed away from the illness 2 years ago at the age of 67.  (She is on the far right in the picture below) Doctors discovered a tumour on one of her ovaries at the age of 63. Unfortunately, it was already 8 cm in diameter, about the size of a tennis ball, and therefore too advanced for the subsequent surgery to be completely successful. Several rounds of chemotherapy followed, but the eventual spread of the disease to her liver meant that she died in 2010 after 4 difficult years of treatment. I was only 11 when she died, so she didn’t even get the chance to see me start secondary school and there are many things she has missed about watching me grow up because she died at such a relatively young age.

I want to raise the awareness of the early symptoms of ovarian cancer, which can be very difficult to spot, so that this disease can be caught before it spreads to other vital organs, as in my Grandma’s case. My Grandma was a very big inspiration to me, and we shared a lot of the same interests, so I do miss her a lot.   I have picked Ovacome for her so that other families don’t have to go through what our family did. My grandma was a loving and caring woman and she did not deserve to go through what she did. Nor does any other women so that’s why I want you to help me and Ovacome beat ovarian cancer.   I hope you will support me in my advocacy.

 Ovacome has provided a key to the most common early signs that someone may be suffering from Ovarian Cancer: BEAT.


If you, or someone you know, suffers from one or more of these symptoms then please have yourself checked.

As well as championing the early detection of Ovarian Cancer, Ovacome also supports women who are living with the disease. Women suffering from Ovarian Cancer can often feel alone. Even supportive friends and family members will struggle to understand what they are going through. Ideally, they would like to talk to other sufferers. Which is where ‘My Ovacome’ can help. It is a blog where you can talk to and get advice from other women in the same situation as you.

I hope that you have found my blog helpful and you now want to help my advocacy. I would like to ak you some questions:

Have you ever heard of Ovacome before?

Would you use ovacome as a resource or advise a friend to?

Would you be willing to give a donation in the future to Ovacome?

Please answer these questions along with your name and address, Thank you, Caitlin Talbot 8J

6 comments:

  1. No
    Yes
    Yes

    Mead Rd
    Torquay

    ReplyDelete
  2. No
    Yes
    Maybe
    Ellie from England

    ReplyDelete
  3. good blog
    elizabeth
    england

    ReplyDelete
  4. before reading your blog i was unaware of ovacome a charity to help beat cancer.This is an important charity that deserves reconition

    ReplyDelete