A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 25 June 2012

Organ Donation, What Could You Do?

Hello my name is Brittanie, welcome to my Blog, and thank you for taking an interest in my advocacy. I have chosen to advocate the NHSBT- National Health Service Blood and Transplant but in particular organ donation.
Please may you take a few minutes to read my blog?

My aims are to
  • Raise more awareness about my cause (what it does and how much one person could help)
  • To help gain more support for the cause and also for those suffering from a deteriorating organ and the families affected by it.
  • I would like to change the public’s behaviour by getting more people to carry an organ donor card.

Horace Hibbert’s Story

When Horace Cleve Hibbert came back from the 2001 World Transplant Games in Japan clutching a gold medal it was a remarkable victory - for him and medical science. Ten years earlier Horace was in a coma and close to death after his liver ceased to function as a result of cryptogenic cirrhosis. Horace was given a transplant in January 1992, but his body rejected the new liver, soon after the operation.
"I was living on the edge. Most people didn't think I would make it," said Horace.

But in July 1992 he was given a second liver - and the operation was a complete success.

"From the day I walked out of the hospital I have been really fit, apart from the occasional cold," said Horace

When he returned to the hospital for a check-up, someone mentioned the transplant games and suggested he should go along. Horace won a place in the 1997 World Games in Sydney, and returned with bronze medals from the 100 and 200 metres, and gold from the relay. At Budapest two years later he won two silvers and gold in the same three events. Then in Japan, he became the world long jump champion, clearing 5.86m, and won silver in the relay.
Horace went from lying on his death bed to becoming a worldwide athlete in the space of 5 years thanks to the work of the NHSBT- organ donation

The NHSBT is part of the NHS, but is mainly run on volunteers whether it is the nurses or the donators, they need our support.

So why should you care about those who are suffering...............

  • Their lives are just as worthy as ours but they are the ones who are suffering.
  • They won’t see their children or even grand-children grow up.
  • People like you or I are suffering from a deteriorating organ and there is nothing they can do about it.

So please help!
Please take a few moments to answer these questions.
  1. Do you now feel more informed about the NHSBT?
  2. Have your feelings now changed towards the NHSBT if so what are they?
  3. Would you now be willing to become an organ donor in the future?
For more information go to http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/default.asp
Thank you for taking time to read my blog!

5 comments:

  1. yes
    ---
    definatlety
    very good blog and very informative

    ReplyDelete
  2. -Yes definitely!
    -They have changed as I now feel that I would be willing to support the NHSBT in the future.
    -I think that yes I would consider being an organ donor in the future.
    -A very informative blog you have certainly changed my views on this cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting cause and great blog, I will now consider becoming a donor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still not sure about this cause, though your blog is very thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes
    Yes good cause
    Definitely

    ReplyDelete