A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 27 June 2012

Down’s Syndrome Discrimination- Don’t Bother

First of all, thank you for taking an interest in my blog. My name is Phoebe and I am advocating for The Down’s Syndrome Association- a worth-while, London based charity. This is about an issue that is very close to my heart and I hope to spread the message during my Citizenship Coursework. Cases of Downs Syndrome in the UK have started to rise and therefore the services that the Downs Syndrome Association provide have become more needed than ever.

Firstly, I will briefly explain why I chose this cause. In 2010, a few days after my baby cousin was born, he was diagnosed with Downs Syndrome. This news was going to affect my family’s life forever, but we knew there were services that could be reached out to. I then found out about the Downs Syndrome association and wanted to help them. This was when I decided I wanted to help people like Monty, and this is why I wanted to spread awareness.

Secondly, I am going to outline what my charity does. The Down’s Syndrome Association is an amazing charity which gives support and guidance to individuals and families who need it most. They have help-lines and e-mail addresses for anyone that would like to contact them with a dilemma or question. They can arrange meetings, or groups that deal with the most likely issues for anyone of any age. The counselling and services they offer are brilliant quality and are helpful in all aspects of life. Around 750 babies are born every year with the condition and all of these services are beneficial to the parents of these individuals.

The Downs Syndrome Association needs your donations because they are running on low funds to keep up much-needed services. Clubs may have to shut down, research will become very limited, and if things carry on like this, the charity will shut down. This would be devastating to so many people and the ability to rely on these services will run out. Life would be made immensely harder for anyone with the condition, and everyone related to someone with Downs Syndrome will feel the strain.

For more information, visit http://www.downs-syndrome.org.uk/

Finally, please can you answer the following questions in a comment under my blog:
  • How much did you know about the Downs Syndrome Association before reading this?
  • Do you now feel more informed about the condition and the charity?
  • Would you be willing to do any of the following-
-Tell friends or family about my blog?
-Tell friends or family about the Downs Syndrome Association?
-Donate to the Downs Syndrome Association?
-Volunteer for the Downs Syndrome Association?

Also, could you let me know where you are from so I know how far my advocacy has spread?
Thank you, Phoebe

4 comments:

  1. My grand daughter was born in Nov 2011 & diagnosed four days after her birth date with DS. All our family are members of the DSA & I have a DS Google alert for DS which is how I found your blog. I agree with you that the research & support that the DSA gives is fantastic. My grand daughter lives in Chippenham Wilts & I live in Maldon Essex. Good luck with your coursework. As a former head teacher I think your blog is very worthwhile. I hope you reach a wide audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much for your response, could you possibly sign my petition at www.petitionbuzz.com/10pplunkett
      And get friends and family to support the cause too.
      Thanks again :-)

      Delete
  2. 1. Not very much
    2. Yes
    3. I would be willing to do all of those
    I am sitting next to you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much did you know about the Downs Syndrome Association before reading this? Not a lot.
    Do you now feel more informed about the condition and the charity? Yes a lot more informed.
    Would you be willing to do any of the following-
    -Tell friends or family about my blog? Yes I will.
    -Tell friends or family about the Downs Syndrome Association? I will.
    -Donate to the Downs Syndrome Association? If the oppertunity arises.
    -Volunteer for the Downs Syndrome Association? Yes probably.
    I am sat next to you right now :)

    ReplyDelete