A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Friday 15 June 2012

The tears that come, but the hurt you can’t see. Save their sight, support the RNIB.

Thank you for coming onto my blog! My name is Izzy, and the purpose of this blog is to make you more aware of sight loss and what it means for people who have it. I am going to tell you, how my advocated charity, The RNIB can help the blind to live their lives as fully as possible. By the end of my blog, I hope to have made your feelings about the RNIB as positive as possible!

But first I would like to tell you a story about an incredibly brave girl called Emma…
Emma’s Story- Every day, 100 people in the UK start to lose their eyesight. It’s a devastating time for them and their family. Unfortunatley, this was the case for seven year old Emma…..

Emma was a happy, healthy seven year old, when she was diagnosed with a disease called Stargardt's disease that meant she would quickly start losing her sight. She understood what was happening, and as the effects took hold, it was alomost too much too bear. Everything that she had known and loved had begun to fade away, her friends playing, her bedtime stories and even her own mothers face. Emma was frightened and alone. But her parents appealed to the RNIB and they soon took care of her. The donations from the public allowed the RNIB to provide Emma with Talking Books and fun activity days with people with the same condition as her. She now has her life back and even helped the RNIB to be the first child to star in their TV advert! The RNIB changes Emma’s life. But real change takes time, and that is only possible if the RNIB get donations in.

Why should you support my Charity?

  • It is a devastating time for the victim and their family. The RNIB are not very well known, so they need as many donations as possible. Imagine if the world around  YOU suddenly started to fade…
  • It changes peoples lives for the better!Emma’s story is just one positive reaction. The RNIB don’t focus on some people and not others, they always give their full undivided attention to everyone.
  • Some of the money that the RNIB raise go to eye clinics all around the UK. This can contribute to curing many eye diseases, and most importantly to allow people to live life with no more everyday difficulties.

To persuade you how worthy this cause is, here are a few quotes from people who have ben helped by the RNIB:

"The care and education Adrian has received at RNIB Pears Centre has changed his life - and ours - for the better." - Adrian's mum
"I am extremely grateful to the RNIB for all their support - without them I would not have received the benefits I am entitled to" - Stanley Yates
And finally, here is a link to the RNIB school ‘The Pears Centre’.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYknztdAmT8

Thank you so much for reading my blog! Before you go, I would love it if you could post your responses to my blog for the following questions
  • Had you previously heard of the RNIB? Do you now feel more informed?
  • Would you support the RNIB or make a donation?
  • Could you write a few sentences about what you think of my blog and the RNIB
  • Please make sure that you put the name of your home town and country!
For more information about the RNIB, go to their website: www.rnib.co.uk

4 comments:

  1. 1. No, i hadnt heard of the RNIB. Yes, i feel much more informed.
    2. Yes, i would be prepared to make a donation.
    Torquay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of the RNIB before, but I now fell much more informed.
    I would support the RNIB.
    I think that what the RNIB do is very good and how they help the children is truely amazing. I think that your blog was very informative and I found it very interesting, especially Emma's story and the video.
    Torquay, England

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Izzy,
    1. I had heard of the RNIB, but I only knew a little of what work the RNIB carried out
    2. Yes I would support the RNIB
    3.I think that your blog is very informative and I think that that I feel very informed. Great blog! Especially Emmas story.
    4. Exeter , Devon, England
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,
    1. I had never heard of the RNIB before, but now I feel much more informed about its work.
    2. I think it's a really worthy cause and would love to make a donation in the future.
    3. I think that their work is amazing! Emma's story is really inspiring and her life must have really changed.
    Torquay

    ReplyDelete