A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 27 June 2012

All babies need the best start in life – so help support premature babies.

Hello and thank you for looking at my blog! My name is Savannah I hope this blog will inform you with all of the information you need. Many children have died because of lack of equipment, being premature etc. Therefore, that is why I feel strongly about the issue, and want to do something about it. So I want to advocate for BLISS to tell people about what happens and how we can help. A lot of people know about premature babies, but they don't do things to help or they don't know where to go to help, so that is why I want to spread the word. Lucy - in the picture below - is one of many who was born premature and was very ill. Her story is very moving and I hope at the end of reading it you will feel more willing to donate and help children like Lucy.

Lucy's mother Clare went into labour when she was only 25 weeks pregnant. It was a very tragic time for Clare and her husband Rod. When Clare arrived at the hospital they didn’t have the right equipment to support Clare and her premature baby, so she had to be taken to a hospital 30 miles away. When they arrived at the new hospital Clare was whisked away to her own room to be scanned to see if everything was going well. Luckily, there was no need for a caesarean. However later, the baby was due and the delivery took a matter of seconds, and then Lucy arrived. This was very emotional for Clare and Rod, because they didn’t know whether their baby would be alive. As Lucy was in the hands of the doctors Clare saw her baby look at her for the first time. Lucy survived, because of the equipment at the hospital. Lucy weighed 780g and was born at 25 weeks and 3 days early, so this was really premature.

 


This is Lucy when
she was born,
and as you can
see she wasn’t in
the best condition.







Lucy was one of the lucky ones, who survived, but there are many other times where babies haven’t had the right care and treatment. This is why I am asking you to post your thoughts about how you feel and if this has changed your thoughts on premature babies. Also, could you please answer the questions below, so I can understand everyone’s opinion. If you would like further details on BLISS go to their website: www.bliss.org.uk.

Have you ever donated to BLISS or a baby charity?
Do you now feel more informed why I feel so strongly about BLISS?
Would you now donate to BLISS?

Thank you very much for reading and answering my questions.  Savannah

6 comments:

  1. Hey, your blog is great and I had never heard of BLISS before but would help now! I have never donated, feel much more informed and would now donate!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. No
    Yes
    Yes
    Your charity is a very worthy cause and i hope people support it in the near future!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have heard of bliss before but you have told me a lot more. your charity is a great cause so good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. In response to your questions:
    No
    Yes
    Yes
    You have really helped me learn about Bliss and how I can support them. I will do more fundraising and raise awareness to all of my friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No
    Yes
    Yes
    This is a really good blog! I have had premature babies and I know how Lucy's parents must of felt! This was really informative and would definitely donate. I will tell all of my friends and family and help raise awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Nope, but I would now ;) x
    2. yes, very much so, you have really changed my opinion.
    3. yes defianatly!!!!!!!
    I will make sure to tell my friends and family!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete