A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 19 June 2012

Animals are not Clowns – Please Support the Captive Animal’s Protection Society!


First of all, thank you so much for taking an interest in my blog. My name is Susie and I am currently undertaking my GCSE Citizenship. For this, he had  to choose a charity or organisation we are passionate about, and advocate for this organisation. I chose the Captive Animals Protection Society, a charity that works all over the globe to help diminish the exotic pet trade, illegal and abusive zoos, and animals in circuses. I have focussed my advocacy on animals in circuses. This is a charity that is close to my heart as a) I am a huge animal lover, and b) I hate to see cruelty in action.

Take Anne the elephant, for example. Anne was held captive all of her life, until shocking footage of her being ‘taught to behave’ was released on the internet. During these videos, Anne is whipped, kicked and smacked, so hard you can see her entire body ripple in pain and the sound echo throughout the cramped room where she was chained by her legs.

Anne faced this torture every day of her life since she was bought by the circus in the 1950s. Until this footage was released. Campaigners immediately sprang into action, lobbying the government, and with the help of an article that was published in the daily mail asking for donations, Anne the elephant was moved to Longleat Safari Park in Bath. Earlier this year, I went to visit Anne. I was happy to see her having fun in her new sand pit, but was shocked to see the scars still evident around her body. Longleat hope to be able to buy her a companion later this year, so she can be able to live her last years in peace.

To support my advocacy, I am not going to ask you for money or even time. All I request is for you to spread the word. Tell your parents, siblings, friends, enemies, about how the torture of animals in circuses should end. Also, if a circus happens to be in town, then please, before going to it, check to make sure there are no animals involved. If there are animals performing, this is illegal. Although there has been a recent ban put in place to stop animals being used in circuses, it is believed that there are still around seven of these torture chambers travelling around the U.K.

I would be very grateful if you could please answer a few questions for me, in the comment sections below:
  • Have you ever heard about the issue of animal circuses before reading my article?
  • Would you boycott an animal circus if one came to town?
  • If the opportunity arose, would you consider donating money to CAPS?
  • Please can you tell me your town (and country, if not in the U.K)?

Thank you once again :)

6 comments:

  1. # i have heard of animal circuses but not that extreme- poor anne!

    # maybe- i would see if i could find out about the circus and how they treat the animals.

    # yes!

    # Torbay UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello i think you are right and i <3 anne !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this is a very good cause and we should all support it! Well Done...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I have not heard about this issue
    2. Possibly, I would make sure I knew the facts about the circus though!
    3. Probably yes
    4. Exeter, UK

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. No
    2. Maybe
    3. Yes
    4. U.K

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I haven't heard about this charity before!
    2. Yes as I agree and I also don't like clowns!
    3. I would, but no-one gives me money so I have none to donate!
    4. UK, Torquay, TGGS, IT1, Next to you!!! ;) Well done swizzle, this is really good!!

    ReplyDelete