A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Friday 15 June 2012

Flying into a free range future!

Hi, my name is Ophelia and firstly, thank you for taking an interest in my blog! I am an advocate for the British Hen Welfare Trust and currently doing my Citizenship GCSE. It would be really helpful to me if you could take the time to read my blog…

The British Hen Welfare Trust is a local charity, founded by Jane Howorth in 2005. She went into a battery farm, meaning to come out with half a dozen hens as she had the room in her garden – instead, she came out with 400 battery hens because she felt so sorry for them! With a little help, she set up a re-homing system which involved feeding and caring for the hens until a good owner came along. Her heroic actions soon branched out into this inspiring charity.

The BHWT also campaign against and raise awareness about the horrors of commercial hen farming, which you will probably be familiar with. If not, there are currently around 16 million battery hens in the UK alone, all living in the same awful conditions…
  • Cages not big enough to turn around in
  • Beaks cut off to prevent damage when they peck each other (this for the hen is about as painful as having one of your fingernails ripped out)
  • Living in their own waste – around two million hens die each year from diseases caused by not having their cages cleaned
  • Constantly in fear, discomfort and distress.

Jasmine’s story

Jasmine (image on the right) was bred by battery farmers and entered her tiny cage at just eight weeks old. She was kept apart from her mother, and grew increasingly distressed and scared. She lost all her feathers and became very ill. When she was first rescued by a BHWT volunteer, she was extremely distrustful and terrified of being handled. However, after a few weeks of freedom, fresh air and green grass, Jasmine became the healthy, happy hen that she deserved to be. She is currently in the care of the British Hen Welfare Trust volunteers, waiting for a loving owner to come along.

If you are interested in re-homing or sponsoring a hen, or would like to know anything else about this amazing charity, don’t hesitate to visit their website: www.bhwt.org.uk

Thank you again for reading my blog. Now I would be really grateful if you could possibly just leave your comments with the answers to these three questions, telling me either your home town or country:
  1. Do you now feel more informed about the BHWT after reading my blog?
  2. Would you now be prepared to consider supporting the BHWT by doing anything from donating money to telling your friends and family about it?
  3. Any other general comments about your thoughts on my blog?
Thank you so much,
Ophelia

8 comments:

  1. 1. Yes i do
    2.Yes i would
    3. i thought your blof was very informative and i feel interested to find out what the battery farmers think of this problem unfortunatly i have tried to save as many battery hen as i can from a charity and i have saved over 50 hens you can see my love for chickens!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really good blog, I feel much more informed about the charity now and I would love to support them:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Yes infinitely better informed.
    2.I intend to sponsor a hen as my work birthday gift (giving up my intended seafood designed plate).
    3.I didn't know the numbers were so high,especially in these more informed times.Shocking statistics I think.I have always supported the free range poultry products and am delighted that you are championing their cause. I hope your blog reaches many new people .

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I wasn't aware of the background of how the charity evolved although I was aware of the BHWT.
    2.Yes I shall myself be rehoming some hens soon.
    3. I thought your blog does a great job raising awareness,however be wary of being over sentimental.Legislative & cultural issues can be more important than individual hens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ophelia.

    Very informative blog.

    I'll share your page on Twitter and Facebook.

    Good luck in your GCSE

    Nigel. Bath, Somerset.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes i do

    yes i would

    i thought it was really sad and i would hate to be one of those poor chickens. i would really like to support the bhwt and help the chickens. i think what they do is incredible and your blog makes me really think about whats happening. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1 yes
    2 yes
    3 really good blog and i didn't know that battery hens had such horrible lives. well done for raising awareness about this cause, i know a lot more now and i definitely want to learn more about this charity.
    paignton, devon

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. yes i feel like i know more.
    2.they are a great charity i would like to pass it on to my parents so they can tell other people.
    3. it was very interesting i really think Jasmine is very cute and i love hens cause my nan has loads .

    ReplyDelete