A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 30 July 2012

Homeless not Hopeless - St Petrock’s Homelessness Charity




Hello and first of all thank you for visiting my blog. My name is Rebecca Grace and I believe strongly in helping those who are homeless and stopping prejudice towards those sleeping on the streets. I am currently advocating for St Petrock’s homelessness charity which is based in Exeter and is making a world of difference to homeless people in Devon. They offer education, shelter, counselling, clothes and food to those who need it. They literally change lives. How can anyone not want to help those who have to sleep in doorways and down alleys, no matter who that person is? Here is a link to their webpage:


What most people don’t understand is that some people’s pasts are best forgotten by them and some people’s pasts have led to them sleeping on the street. Just because someone is homeless it does not make them “dirty” “rough” or “drunken drug users”. If people could look behind the exterior they would see someone who is cold and hungry and desperate for people to help them. Not someone who wants to be called a “hobo” or a person who wants to be thought of as someone who will only spend any money you give them on drink and drugs. If nothing else, I would like to change the mindsets of people who think that 100% of homeless people are bad people who have caused their own problems and should be left alone.

The Facts:

76% of homeless people are male

24% of homeless people are female

64% have drug or alcohol issues

64% have a physical health condition

70% have mental health issues

54% have educational needs

8% have been in care

8% are ex-offenders or have been in prison

St Petrock’s slogan is “Positively Responding to Homelessness”. This sums up my advocacy completely. The people on the street have far less than you and a small donation is NOT going to affect whether or not you buy those new shoes or go on that holiday.
So please, next time you tuck yourself into a warm bed or eat a warm meal, spare a thought for those who will be sleeping on the street or in a doorway tonight. A song that fits my advocacy well is Michael Jackson’s famous song Man in the Mirror because it is about realizing how lucky we are and trying to empathize with and help those far less fortunate than you.

Thank you for reading my blog post and I really hope that it has changed your attitudes to homeless people or just informed you of St Petrock’s amazing work. Please email me at:

10rwright@tggsacademy.org

In your email please tell me what you thought of my advocacy and answer these questions. (In your responses please tell me your home town and country):


  • Had you previously heard of St Petrock’s Homelessness Charity before my advocacy?
  • Has my advocacy changed your pre-existing opinions of homeless people?  
  • Would you now consider donating or volunteering to help St Petrock’s continue their work?
    Honestly, what were your opinions of homeless people on a scale of one to ten before my advocacy? Ten meaning you think that they should be helped in every way possible and one being that you think they should be left well alone.
    Please may you leave a final opinion on the work of St Petrock’s, your current or past views on homelessness or homeless people or your thoughts on my advocacy as a whole?
    Thank you very much for your time and I hope my blog has been informative.

3 comments:

  1. This has informed me and made me look more kindly upon homeless people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. no
    yes
    yes
    5
    stpetrocks is a very good cause

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is an excellent blog entry and it has both informed me about st petrocks and made me want to donate to their cause.

    ReplyDelete