A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Thursday 4 November 2010

We should consider banning greyhound racing




Firstly, thank you for taking interest in my blog. I hope that after you have read it, you will be more aware of the subject or your views may have changed. For my citizenship GCSE, I am trying to advocate an issue that I am really interested in - the area of greyhound racing. I would like to raise awareness about why many of these greyhounds are allegedly being cruelly beaten or killed for maybe a reason that isn’t always obvious. If possible, my aims are to change your opinions about the way they are treated and to raise awareness to the people who have little experience in this area.

In major businesses where greyhound races produces a large profit, dogs are not necessarily cared for as a pet – some are treated harshly. Approximately in all of the greyhound racing businesses, they have around 13,500 dogs. Sadly, a huge 4000 of many greyhounds go missing every year, many responsible owners have them put to sleep by vets when they are past their working life, but some have been found in flooded quarries that have been killed abruptly by a sudden shot to the head or a large brick. According to some Animal Pressure Groups, when the dogs are registering for the races, only 20% can sometimes qualify as racers. The other 80% ‘disappear’.

I think we should do as much as we can to stop this for the following reasons:
* Who would agree with the cruelty that is inflicted on these unfortunate breed of dog, such as in the image above?
* These dogs are fast, but just because they loose a couple of races, it should not mean that they should be killed in case they lose again.

Thank you very much for reading my blog. I hope that this had made you more interested in this particular area of cruelty to animals. I would really appreciate it if you left your response below telling me your thoughts and opinions about cruelty to some greyhounds. If you would like to know more about this subject, go to www.league.org.uk. Please help to support the greyhounds so that they can live there lives again.

Here’s some questions for you to think about. Please comment on these as a posted response:
1. Had you heard about how many greyhounds go missing every year and did you know about the type of cruelty that some receive?
2. Do you now feel more aware about the issue of greyhound racing?
3. Has your opinion changed from what you already knew about the issue?

If you feel quite strongly about the issue of the greyhounds now, would you be prepared to:

1. Support the campaign with the league against cruel sports and help to stop greyhound racing?
2. Make a donation to the league against cruel sports by clicking on the “Donate” tab once you are on the website and support them?
3. Inform your family and friends about the issue of the greyhounds being killed and try to persuade people to join the cause?

Thanks again!

4 comments:

  1. 1. Yes I did
    2. Yes
    3. No because I already feel strongly about the issue as I love greyhounds and I have one of my own who isn't a racing dog.
    1.Yes of course
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didnt know that happened to greyhounds and I agree they should not be treated in that way, I do feel more aware as I never knew that was happening in the first place. I guess my feelings have changed because I now know what happens to greyhounds who race thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, for my citizenship advocacy I'm too supporting a greyhound rescue society.
    1. I would definately support the cause in any way possible.
    2. I would be willing to make a donation.
    3. I have already informed my friends and family about the cause through my own work but I will try to do more whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I do not agree with animal cruelty but as you said there are some responsible owners out there that do not treat their dogs cruelly. With this in mind I do not see why greyhound racing shoud be banned completly because of a minority of people treating dogs cruelly.

    ReplyDelete