A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Sunday 20 June 2010

We should all go fishing!


Thank you very much for showing an interest in my Blog! Fishing is something I really enjoy & feel passionate about! I believe that many people do not know about the many wonderful benefits of going fishing, & some are a little misinformed about some of its ‘so called problems.’

When you’ve read my Blog, I hope that you will have come around to my way of thinking & perhaps even – if you haven’t already - give fishing a try! I think fishing is a fantastic way to spend your free time for the following reasons.

1. What could be healthier than spending time relaxing by a beautiful lake, in scenic countryside surroundings breathing in some fresh country air?!
2. Fishing is loved by people of all ages, both sexes & from all sorts of backgrounds – as my picture shows it can be a great family activity!
3. Fishing makes you think & is great fun – fish are surprisingly intelligent & catching a big carp like the one below can be immensely rewarding!
4. Some people think that fishing is cruel, but the fact is that science does not know for sure if fish feel pain in the same way as humans - and in any case …
5. Many fish would not be alive at all were it not for anglers breeding fish, constructing lakes & stocking them with fish.

Thank you so much again thinking about my views! Please do now post me a response with your thoughts. In particular, it would be great if you could write just a few words in answer to the following questions:

* Do you go fishing already? If so why? If not why not?
* Had you thought much about the benefits of fishing before reading my blog?
* Do you now feel more informed about the benefits of fishing?
* Have I changed you opinion about fishing & if how & so why?
* Would you now be prepared to go fishing if you’ve never been before?
* Would you support my campaign to protest against people who wish to ban fishing?

Join me on a ‘Family Fun Day Fish In’ at Creedy Lakes, Crediton in Devon on 1st August – further details at: http://www.creedylakes.com/
Make a donation to the ‘Angling Trust’ at: http://www.anglingtrust.net/
Tell your family & friends about how wonderful fishing is, & try to persuade them to join my cause – maybe even go fishing themselves!?

Mr Charlwood

1 comment: