A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 10 June 2013

When disaster strikes who will help? Help Shelterbox help others!

Hi, I’m Scarlett. Thank you very much for having an interest in and taking your time to read my blog about Shelterbox! Raising awareness for such an important charity, like Shelterbox, is very important to me and doing all you can to help families after losing everything in disasters is something that I feel very strongly about.

It’s very hard to imagine losing all that you own, having difficulty finding food and water and having no place to sleep, but this is what happens every year to hundreds and thousands of families across the world who lose everything when disasters strike. Through no fault of their own and often with no warning, families lose their homes, their possessions and their livelihoods. Every day they are faced with a battle for survival and Shelterbox’s mission is to help them. Disasters to which Shelterbox have responded to include; earthquakes, hurricanes, wars, floods, landslides, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions and typhoons.


One of the people to move into a Shelterbox tent was Toshi Iche Iwasa, an 80 year old man who had been living with two of his family members in the back of his vehicle after losing his home in the tsunami. At the time of the disaster, he was picking strawberries at a small family farm: 'In the 80 years of my life I have experienced many earthquakes but nothing like this one. I fell to the ground to take cover but couldn't pick myself up again. My wife was only able to crawl across to me.

'As soon as we heard the tsunami warning we headed straight to our car and drove for higher ground. Although our homes were completely destroyed I feel lucky that we are all safe and together.'
Mark Dyer said: ‘It was great to move Mr Iwasa and his family into one of our tents. He was so excited to talk to his family and let them know they could start living together.

‘He was amazed that donors from all over the world work with Shelterbox to bring this type of lifesaving equipment to people who lose everything in a disaster. He just kept saying Arigato (thank you) Shelterbox.’

Shelterbox aims to help 50,000 people like Mr Iwasa every year, but they can only achieve this with the on going donations from people around the world, so don’t do nothing do something, we can all make a difference no matter how small the contribution may be!

Thank you so much for taking time to read my Blog. Please post me a response with your feedback.  If you could include answers to my questions below, that would be great.  Could you also tell me your home town and, if not in the UK, your country too! For further details about Shelterbox go to www.sheterbox.org.
Had you heard about the work that ShelterBox do before reading my Blog?

Has my Blog changed the way you feel about ShelterBox?

Would you be prepared to get more involved with ShelterBox in any of the following ways:  
  1. Make a donation to ShelterBox?
  2. Tell your friends and family about ShelterBox and try to persuade them to help out?
  3. Organise a fund-raising activity?
  4. Arrange a ShelterBox talk for a school, club or group?
  5. Go online and buy a ShelterBox item?
  6. Buy something from a local shop that’s raising money for ShelterBox?

Many thanks!
Scarlett.

9 comments:

  1. 1. yes i would
    2. i have already told them to read this blog, but yes.
    3. yes
    4. yes
    5. yes
    6. yes.
    very Persuasive blog well done. The picture just shows how much shelterbox helps people. I didn't know what shelterbox did before reading this but I now feel ver informed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really cool lul

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 okay, i will now
    2 I will this charity is very inspiring
    3 i will as i would love to raise money for the charity
    4 I will see and talk to my friends to start of a club
    5 I will buy a TOP AND COULD SELL THEM
    6 Okay I will do and I will find out what shops sell them
    very good

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. okay
    2. I will
    3.yes
    4.yes
    5.yes
    6.yes
    very inspirational, well done

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done, very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very good scarlett !!
    1 - yeah
    2 - yes
    3 - yah
    4 - yes
    5- yes
    6 - yeah!

    love you scarlett, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well done very proud of you princess

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1.Yes I would donate
    2.Yes I will tell my friends about ShelterBox
    3.Yes
    4.Yes I think this is a very good idea
    5.Yes
    6.Yes I think that this is definitely a charity worth it.
    Good Luck, this sounds like an amazing charity and a very good cause to advocate for Scarlett!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1.Yes
    2.Yes
    3.Yes
    4.Yes
    5.Yes
    6.Yes
    Well done, this is very well written and a very inspirational charity to advocate about.

    ReplyDelete