A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Tuesday 11 June 2013

WWF – Let Them Live

Hello and thank you ever so much for taking the time to read my blog! My name is Louise and conservation of wildlife is something that I feel very strongly about. Although it is something lots of people know about, I want to go into more depth about the work that WWF does. After you’ve finished reading my blog, I hope that you will know more about the problems that us humans are causing our planet – and the things that live on it & that you want to help.

WWF’s main aim is to have a world where humans and wildlife can live in harmony. They feel that all the other life on the planet deserves to live just as much as humans do, and the fully understand the measures that we have to take to save them. They consult governments all over the world to try and free animals from the threat of extinction, and some of the most beautiful places of nature in the world. They have saved so many animals from extinction, like the giant panda and Arabian Oryx, as well as reducing large amounts deforestation. They give the most vulnerable a voice, to scream cries of pain that would otherwise fall on deaf ears and go unnoticed. So many animals and places owe their lives to the work that WWF has done. Some of the more recent work that they have done are, earth hour, taking Prime Minister David Cameron to the Artic to see the damage of climate change (2006), a petition to get the Korean Government to not pass a law that would allow whaling.

From WWF’s founding in 1961, they have relied purely on funds to help them achieve their goals, and in the 1960’s alone they raised over US$5.6 million. By its 20th anniversary, WWF had supported protected areas on five continents covering 1% of the Earth’s surface and contributed to the continued existence of a number of species. In the 2000’s, WWF vastly upscale its ambition, aiming now for transformational changes that would lead to lasting conservation, sustainable lifestyles and sustainable developments.


 



Thank you again for reading my blog. Please now post a response with your thoughts. It would particularly be helpful to me if you could answer a few of the following questions - & help in any way you feel you can. Further details of all the ideas listed below and more information on WWF can be found here http://wwf.panda.org Please help to stop us slowly murdering our planet, and the life on it!
  • Had you heard of the work that WWF had done before?
  • Do you now feel more informed about what they do and why they do it?
  • Would you now be prepared to do any of the following
  1. Make a donation to ‘WWF’?
  2. Start or join a fund raising campaign?
  3. Tell people you know about WWF?
  4. Support WWF when you use eBay?
If you do post a response, please can you tell me where you come from, like your hometown and country (if not UK)? Many thanks, Louise

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I have heard of WWF before
    Yes, I now feel a lot more inforemed about this charity, I was aware of what they did, but now I feel I know a lot more!
    I would do all of the following!!!
    Well Done, this is is brilliant blog, it is very well written and looks like you have put in so much effort!! Keep u pthe good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of the work that WWF did, but not in that much detail. This blog has helped me understand better thanks and I definitely would donate and tell others about WWF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have heard of WWF before
    Yes, I do feel more informed
    Yes, I would donate, I would maybe join a fund-raising campaign, I would tell people I knew about WWF and support it on ebay

    ReplyDelete