A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 25 June 2014

Men are dying every hour, it’s our time to Save a Man – Support Prostate Cancer

Hello, my name is Holly and firstly I would like to thank you for taking a look at my blog!  My chosen theme to advocate is Prostate Cancer, I want people to have a better understanding of prostate cancer and the affects it has on the man and their families.  I believe too many people know about cancer but not so much about prostate cancer.
Prostate Cancer is affecting men every day and killing one man every hour.  There are so many types of cancer, prostate cancer is just 1! 
It is estimated that by 2030 prostate cancer will be the most common cancer.  One in 8 men will get prostate cancer, over a quarter of a million men are living with and after prostate cancer.

  • To raise awareness is the thing I would like to advocate most.  I believe far too many people know about cancer but not about prostate cancer.  Helping people to understand prostate cancer and the statistics.
  • The change people’s perceptions, through a better understanding of prostate cancer people may change their attitudes to prostate cancer.
  • To help those involved with caring and living with prostate cancer.  The man himself, his family, his doctor, his nurse, his group worker.
I think you should support my advocacy because:
  • 1 man every hour dies form prostate cancer, that’s one dad, uncle, grandad, brother, son, friend dying every day.
  • All men deserve to be treated with the same amount of care.
  • Every man needs money to support his treatment.
Here is a brief story about Guy.
"It was a shock when I was told I had prostate cancer at the age of 51. I knew I was more likely to be diagnosed because my Dad was living with the disease, but the result still really knocked me. Like many men, I was symptomless. I had surgery to remove the prostate in May 2011. Afterwards, my kids were great, offering to pick things up for me when it was too painful and now that the side-effects have eased, I'm back to playing with them. They've got their Dad back."

What I'm doing now
"When I tell people about my prostate cancer, they're quite understanding, but don't really want to talk about it. Perhaps they just don't have the vocabulary. It has been a real support to talk to Dad and it is interesting how many people open up about their own cancer experiences once I've told them about mine. Prostate Cancer UK offers an online forum where men can share their experiences and talk together and that's so important for men in my position."
 



Here are some facts and figures:
In Scotland

  • Every day 2 men die from prostate cancer in Scotland
  • 2,800 men diagnosed each year, 800 die each year in Scotland from prostate cancer.
In England
  • Every hour 1 man dies from Prostate Cancer
In Wales
  • More than 500 men die every year from Prostate Cancer in Wales
In Northern Ireland
  • 1,000 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer every year in Northern Ireland.
Thank you for taking your time to read my blog!
If you agree with my advocacy, think that my charity is a worthwhile charity and support my aims in fighting prostate cancer, by leaving a comment answering these questions; it will help me with my aims.

  • Had you heard or thought about Prostate Cancer before and how it affects men and their families?
  • Do you now feel more informed about prostate cancer and the affects it has on men all over the UK?
  • Would you now tell family members about prostate cancer and Prostate Cancer UK and the work it does?
  • Does this change your attitude towards cancer and the different types such as Prostate Cancer?
Remember one man is dying every hour, over 40,000 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer ever year – that’s more than 100 men diagnosed every day!
It’s your time to save a man!

No comments:

Post a Comment