A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Wednesday 25 June 2014

Imagine a world without Multiple Sclerosis. Help the M.S. Society and this could become reality.

Hello, the first thing I would like to say is, thank you so much for taking interest in my advocacy and for taking the time to open and read my blog. My name is Lauren and the theme that I am advocating is about the disease Multiple Sclerosis; the charity I am advocating for is the M.S. Society.  I have chosen this theme because I feel that quite a lot of people don’t know or understand what Multiple Sclerosis is and how it affects your, and your family’s, future life. I want people to read my blog and say, “that’s interesting, I now know more about this cause and I would like to support the M.S Society. So we can save future generations from this disease.” A lot of people, when you say, ‘think of a charity that supports a disease.’ would probably think of cancer research UK or Guide Dogs UK. Therefor, these well known charities get more donations and funds than less well known charities, however it doesn’t mean their cause is any more less important. I would like to change peoples behavior, opinions and attitude to people with Multiple Sclerosis as they will be more aware of what it does to their life, and the charities. I want people to think before they donate money to the most popular charities, to think ‘actually, I’m going to give my money to a less well known charity as they need to fund valuable research and help people with other needs.’

Some of the reasons I chose to support this disease are:

  • I think we need to know more about diseases and some other types, other than cancer and blindness.
  • To make it easier for people with Multiple Sclerosis to get help with the needs they might face.
  • Make people with Multiple Sclerosis more aware of the disease they have and give them advice with problems that they might have.
However, the main reason I am supporting this cause is because my mother has Multiple Sclerosis, and I know, first hand, how it feels and the impact it made on my families and my life. My mother was diagnosed in 2007 (I was six years old and my older sister was eight years old.) after falling over on an ice-skating rink she visited the doctor. They noticed she had Multiple Sclerosis. This was a huge shock to our family, as we would all have to change our life style. She could no longer do all the motherly things she once did with her children, and they would not have a ‘normal’ childhood growing up. But to them, their life was normal, not until they were older did they realize how much their life did change. The M.S. Society has given my family and my mother so much help. In the form of informing her on all the new medication that available, helping her when she needed and set up meetings and clubs that she an go to and socializes with other people with Multiple Sclerosis.

Some of the reasons why I think you should care:

  • So we can stop future generations living in fear of this chronic disease
  • An estimated 2.5 million people have it around the world.
  • Everyone deserves an equal life.
  • Why not?

I personally believe that in life you cannot say thank you enough, but I am trying to say thank you as much as I possibly can to you for taking the time to read my blog.  I would very much appreciate it if you could post a response containing your thoughts on my cause and the charity I have chosen to advocate. In particular, I would like you to answer a few questions that I have. Also it would help people with Multiple Sclerosis if you could be willing to donate to the M.S. Society. For any further details or to answer any question that I haven’t already answered, you could visit their website at http://www.mssociety.org.uk/


The questions that I have are:

  • Did you, before reading my blog, know about the M.S. Society?
  • Were you ware of the Disease Multiple Sclerosis and how it affects people?
  • After reading my blog, would you consider giving a donation to the M.S. Society?
  • Do you know feel more informed about the chronic disease Multiple Sclerosis?
I would also appreciate it if at the bottom of your response, if you could but your name (I don’t mind if you only put your first name) and your hometown with the country that you live in.

Also, more ways that you could help the M.S. Society are;

  • Make a donation to the M.S  Society
  • By starting or joining a fund raising event
  • By telling family and friends about the M.S. Society and what it supports
Again, I would like to thank you very much for taking an interest in my blog and what I advocate.
Lauren

5 comments:

  1. 1) I did know about the Multiple Sclerosis society because of the fundraising that often takes place in aid of it at TGGS my school
    2) I was aware that Multiple Sclerosis was a disease and a severe one but not fully aware of the effects and of what the disease actually did
    3) I would definitely support the MS Society at any fundraisers that become available
    4) I feel a lot more informed after reading your blog, it was very informative and contained vital information as well as being broken up with bullet points that make it easier to read, I would say to improve it further number the questions just for more variety of bullet points and that they can then be answered with the numbers like I have done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes
    I was aware of the disease, but not completely of its effects
    Yes
    Yes

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes
    i'd heard of it but didnt really know it's effects
    yes
    yes

    your blog is really good :)))))

    ReplyDelete