A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 4 October 2010

We must help save Japan’s Dolphins!



We must help save Japan’s Dolphins!

Thank you very much for showing an interest in my Blog! The acts to stop the slaughter of dolphins in Taiji, Japan are something I feel very strongly about. The topic is not often heard about and the Japanese’s cultural methods and principles of slaughtering are very controversial.

When you’ve read my Blog, I hope that you will have come around to my way of thinking & perhaps help save Japan’s dolphins.
I think helping to save Japan’s dolphins is important and necessary for the following reasons;

1. In Taiji, Japan, the fishermen round up and inhumanely slaughter roughly 23,000 dolphins putting them at risk of extinction.
2. The dolphin meat is often sold for human consumption branded as ‘whale meat’, even though it is tainted with toxic industrial pollutants such as Mercury, DDTs and PCBs, all known to be hazardous to human health.
3. They are cruelly hunted as they are speared to death and continually stabbed until the water turns blood red. Other dolphins witnessing this become stressed and vulnerable, making them an easy target. Other dolphins are dragged out of the water, their noses tied with rope and sometimes dragged for miles where they will then be hung until they die. Some Japanese fishermen claim ‘”The more savage, the nicer the meat tastes.”
4. The dolphins which are not slaughtered will be sent to petting zoos and ‘swim with dolphins’ programs. In captivity they are often poorly treated. Many people who have seen dolphins in captivity think they are happy as they see the dolphin smiling. However, a dolphin’s smile is world’s greatest deception. The features of a dolphin make it appear that is happy however this is often not true.
5. In captivity the dolphins life expectancy is much less than if they were in the wild. The average life span of a dolphin in the wild is 45 years; yet half of the dolphins which are put in captivity die within the first two years.

Thank you so much again for thinking about my views! Please do now post me a response with your thoughts. In particular, it would be great if you could write a few words in answer to the following questions:

* Before reading my Blog were you aware of the topic of dolphin slaughtering, if so what was your opinion?
* Do you now feel more informed about why we should save dolphins?
* Have I changed your opinion about dolphin slaughtering & if so, how & why?
* Would you support my campaign to protest against people who believe dolphin slaughtering is ok?
* Make a donation to ‘Campaign Whale’ at http://www.campaign-whale.org/support-us/donate
* Tell your family & friends about how awful dolphin slaughtering is, & try to persuade them to join my cause.
* What is your opinion on dolphin slaughtering after reading my Blog?

Thank you very much again for reading my Blog. I would greatly appreciate it if you left any comments below.

Amelia.

2 comments:

  1. 1. I was aware of people slaughtering dolphins, but you have given me more information about it. I am definitely 100% against it.

    2. Yes

    3. No because I always have been against it.

    4. Yes

    5. Yes

    6. Yes

    7. It is so cruel and should be stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. * Yes because i have my friend mention it time-to-time
    * Yes definately thankyou
    * No, i was always against it but you have just made me want to support you and the dolphins more!
    * Definately! It isnt ok, and those people should be proved wrong!
    * Yes
    * Yes
    * That dolphin slautering is disgusting and horrible, and that the people doing it to the poor, innocent animals should be stopped! Its not right - its inhuman.

    Keep up the good work! I'll be supporting you for definate!

    ReplyDelete