A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 4 October 2010

We shouldn’t judge people and we should accept the Youth Centre.



Thank you very much for opening my blog! Being with my friends is something I really enjoy doing, but I notice most of the time, that if any of my friends wear ‘hoodies’, then they’re judged negatively. I also found out about the Ivybridge Youth Centre – which I think is a great place where teens can go to have fun/enjoy themselves etc. However it seems some people disagree.

I hope when you’ve read my blog you’ll understand my viewpoint on this situation and hopefully have spare time to share your own views with me, which I’d love to read!
I feel a lot of teenagers are judged inaccurately because of how the media represent them as. Here are a few examples:

1. A lot of teens wear “hoodies” (jumper+hood=generally spoken of as a “Hoodie”) and in the media It seems that a lot of teens that get into trouble wear “hoodies” so a lot of people assume that any teen wearing a hoodie is trouble.
2. In the media you may have videos of teens using foul language wearing a hood, so most people consider teens impolite and unsocial.
3. Media may show videos of teens wearing hoods having bad habits such as smoking and alcohol. So now a lot of people see teens wearing hoods are addicts!?

My other issue was about the Ivybridge Youth Centre Project. The situation is that Ivybridge had a Youth Centre constructed. Some people thought this was a waste of money. In my home area we have a Youth Centre, and I think it made a really big difference to our lives because we had more to do, and it made the evenings more fun when I came home from School.
Here are a few reasons why I think that the Ivybridge Youth Centre was a good idea:

1. Teens can come off the streets and take part in activities, chill out, or just meet new people.
2. It keeps teenagers from lingering around the street with nothing to do – keeps them out of trouble/ stops them from being at a risk of getting into trouble falling into the ‘wrong crowd’)
3. People are no longer intimidated by a group of friends hanging around on street corners.

Thank you again for visiting my blog. If you have any spare time, please could you read and answer the following questions? Thanks!!

a) Do you think “hoodies” are sometimes/mostly/never or always represented badly in media?
b) Do you agree or disagree that the Ivybridge Youth Centre Project was a good idea, or could the money used on the project, been used more efficiently on something else? Why??
c) If you have a child, or would like one in the future, would you consider taking them to a Youth Centre to see if they’d enjoy it?
d) Have I made you think that some teenagers are not as bad as you thought, before this survey and what do you think of teenagers wearing “hoodies” now?
e) Do you think that a “Hoodies” dress code affects people’s judgement? Why?
f) Have you ever been intimidated by/scared of “Hoodies”? Do you think, now you’ve read this blog that you wouldn’t be as intimidated by/scared of “Hoodies”?

Sherelle

No comments: