A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 4 October 2010

We Should Save Paignton Monastery



Thank you so much for taking an interest in my blog. Saving my local monastery is very important to me and my community as it is an historical building and it is very beautiful. Not many people will know about the monastery as it is in a quiet road and there is no place for the very young to the old to go and get together as a community or as a youth club. My aim is to raise awareness to the people in my community and change the attitudes and opinions of the council and residents nearby. By the end of this Blog, I hope that you will know a bit more about the monastery and whether or not it should be saved from destruction.

The whole building is locked up and not in use any more as no one has treated it well and it needs much work doing to it and the council don’t have enough money to repair it yet they have to pay for the destruction of the building and then for houses to be built and have electric and water to be put in each house. The council have not made a decision yet on what to do with the building, but the whole project has been shelved as the building isn’t that important for the council at the moment. The people of the community have tried a few years back but the group that they had formed disappeared into the background and for the past few years nothing has been done and now I want to make a change and save this building. Here is why I think this building should be saved.

1. This building dates back to the 18th century where the Marist fathers who were catholic priests and they came to England where they found that many English Catholics had to travel quite far to attend mass. So they bought this building and turned it into a chapel for the Catholics in the town. This building is the oldest in the area and is a part of this town’s history and it would be a shame for it to be knocked down and made into more houses.

2. I think that this building has a lot of character and it can be used for so many things such as baby clubs, youth clubs, bingo, drama clubs, tea and coffee mornings, art clubs, heritage clubs, indoor skittles, dance club, summer clubs or it could be used for meetings. This would make the building be used more often and it would change the councils views so they would fix up the windows which are all bordered up and cracked.

I would be very happy if you could please provide evidence on how successful my blog has been by answering these short questions.
• Had you heard about Paignton Monastery before reading my blog?
• Do you now feel more informed about saving Paignton monastery?
• Have I changed your opinion about saving Paignton monastery? If so how &why?
• Would you now be prepared to any of the following things to help save Paignton monastery....?

1. To support my campaign to save Paignton monastery?
2. Tell your family & friends about the monastery & try to persuade them to join my cause?

Thank you for taking your time to read my blog and I hope that you have taken into consideration how important this building is for my community.

Beth.

6 comments:

  1. I THINK THIS IS A WORTHWHILE CAUSE AND WE SHOULD TRY AND SAVE OUR LOCAL HERITAGE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before reading this blog I had no idea about Paignton Monastery, I feel well informed as to what past and future potential the building has.
    I feel that my opinion now, in regards to Paignton Monastery, is that it should be saved. The potential future benefit from the Monastery is great and will aid the community for both the old and the young for many years to come.
    I am fully prepared to support your campaign and will be informing my friends and family so that they too can join the cause to save Paignton Monastery.
    Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paignton monastery could be developed and used for a variety community based projects - its important to encourage new projects that benefit the community as well as saving an historical building - well done good cause

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't very aware of Paignton Monastery beofre reading this - it is very insightful and imformative. The layout is clear and you have provided many reasons for why we should save the Monastery!

    We should save the Monastery as it would bring back the feeling of community back to the Paignton area and give the youth of today something positive to do instead of roming the streets!

    You have my full support Beth!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. very informative
    definately support your campaign

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had not heard about Paignton Monestry before reading your blog, I feel it should definitely be saved what a shame to lose such an historic building, the council should make this a priority. I certainly feel more informed now after reading your blog, you have changed my opinion why should such a beautiful building be knocked down when it could have so much use as you suggested. I would definitely want to join your campaign i will tell my friends and family about this.

    ReplyDelete