A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Monday 4 October 2010

Save the Orangutans – they Can’t Save Themselves!



Thank-you very much for showing interest in my blog. I really like Orangutans and I feel passionate about saving them. I believe many people just think that this is a plea they have heard again and again about trees being cut down but really it is much more. I want people to know that the rainforest is being affected in many ways and we need to put a stop to them. I hope this blog will inform you better of the situation and hopefully convince you to support my advocacy.

Deforestation is not just the cutting down of trees, it is also:
• Oil Palm Plantations
• Illegal Logging
• Forest Fires
• Illegal Mining
Not many people are aware of this.

• In the past 100 years 80% of the Orangutan population have died due to deforestation and many experts have estimated that all Orangutans will be extinct in just 25 years! If we try to stop deforestation we will help keep a whole species alive and save them from the brink of EXTINCTION! Why should they be sacrificed?
• Experts estimate that by 2022, 98% of Indonesia’s rainforests will have been destroyed taking the Orangutan population with it. So if we keep destroying the rainforest at this rate, we would have used up all our resources and used up a whole species completely! Is it all really worth it?
• What is even the point of destroying the rainforest, it is no longer filled with lush green trees, the sound of the animals, the sound of life. You are just left with dull bare land, the sense of death and certainly no sound of life. What good could come from this result?
• Think of all the benefits you would get from keeping orangutans alive. You could carry on watching brilliant documentaries about the beautiful orangutans, you can see pictures of them enjoying their lush green rainforest habitat or see them in zoos across the world for many years to come and maybe even see them in the flesh in the wild if you’re lucky! But if there was no habitat, there would be no orangutans, and with no orangutans there would be nothing to look at, admire and enjoy.
• Don’t forget that all of this will affect you too! Orangutans are vital cogs in the workings of the rainforest and the rainforests are vital cogs in the workings of the eco-system. But without the rainforest and therefore without the orangutans, global warming happens and with the rates of the deforestation getting faster and faster it is speeding up global warming, which is the last thing we need!

Now that you have read my Blog please will you take a few minutes of your time to fill in your answers to the questions bellow or leave a comment about my Blog, Thank-you

* Had you heard of The Orangutan Foundation before reading my Blog?
* Do you now feel more informed about the issue, if yes, which particular part did you learn the most from?
* Have I changed your attitude or opinion towards the issue, if yes, how and why is this?
* Would you be prepared to donate, fundraise or spread the word about my advocacy and the issue?
* Would you consider telling your friends and family about my work and informing them of the issue?

Once again Thank-you for taking time to read my Blog and I hope you have learnt something for reading it.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Jadee:)
    Yeah i've heard about the Orangutan Foundation before, but not in as much detail, and i now feel a lot more informed :D I have always been against this issue but i feel more strongly about it after reading your blog.

    From Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, i have never heard of The Orangutan Foundation before reading this.
    Yes, i do feel more informed about this situation. I leant the most from the part where it listed all the problems of what deforestation is doing to other things.
    Yes, you have changed my opinion and attitude toward the situation. You let me know how bad things really are.
    I would be prepared to donate, fundraise and spread the word. Unfortunatly i have no money at the present time, so i will definitly spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello :) cool blog. Well done jade ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jade awsome blog I think that it is about time more people were aware of the risks of deforestation. Yes i did know about the cause before reading this blog but i now feel more encouraged to donate. Also good luck with your GCSE and i hope you raise lots of awarness!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No
    Yes, I learnt that they were an important part of the rainforest.
    No because I have never wanted orang-utans to be extinct, however, I am more informed.
    Yes
    Yes

    ReplyDelete
  6. * Yes but only because of our lessons and i've seen a few leaflets.
    * Yes and that not just the orangutans are affected but also their habitat and also, how they are affected:/
    * No i agreed with you from the very begining
    * Yes defiantly!!
    * Yes! Although to be honest i already have!! :) x x x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello jade, before i read your blog i knew absolutely nothing about orangutans apart from that they were some how related to monkeys- i didnt even know how to to spell orangutan. i also didnt know that trees are being cut down because of pamlm oil plantations i only thought it was due to oil companies destrying the land.
    overall a very informative blog well well well well done

    ReplyDelete
  8. good imformative blog :) in the top ten most viewed on this website i hear well done

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sam the Orangutan5 April 2011 at 14:44

    I think that the Blog is an excellent way to advocate this issue!
    It is very good and informative.
    1. Very briefly, by you.
    2. Yes, by the bullet points which made it very clear.
    3. You have strengthened my opinion, not changed it.
    4. I will spread the word, I can do this very well, ask my mother.
    5. You are my friend, I will tell you.
    I will also tell my other friends.

    ReplyDelete