A complete list of our posts addressing various citizenship issues can be accessed by clicking through the chronological list on the right hand side of this page. Alternatively you can use the 'Search This Blog' option below the Torquay Girls Grammar School Logo.

Please note that comments for pre-2013 posts have now been disabled. However, we encourage you to leave a comment on any of the new 2013 issues that interest you by clicking on 'comments' at the end of each post. All comments are moderated by school staff prior to posting.


Friday 16 May 2014

Lost memories; lost histories- support Alzheimer’s Society today

Hi, we’re Olivia and Izzy and we’d just like to thank you for taking an interest in our blog! We support Alzheimer’s Society who try to combat a disease called dementia. If you, by the end of our blog, support Alzheimer’s society yourself then it would be great if you could tell your friends and family about this blog and the charity- or even donate money or time to Alzheimer’s Society. The aims of our advocacy is to make sure the latter happens, that you feel more informed, can inform others and help to make a change.

Dementia is a terrible disease which affects the part of your brain that stores short term memories, currently there are 800,000 people living with Alzheimer’s in the UK alone, this figure is expected to treble to 135 million by 2050. Dementia is most common in middle aged to elderly people and destroys their lives and the lives of those closest to them.

“Dementia is my dad sitting in his care home, looking at the door, waiting for my mum, who died a year ago.”

If this quote doesn’t send shivers up your spine then we don’t know what will. Imagine your mum, one day you wake up and she can’t remember who you are. Imagine how scared you would be, how alone you would feel. That’s why we have Alzheimer’s nurses who will help care for your loved one when you can’t.

Unfortunately, at the moment there is no cure for this disease, this is what Alzheimer’s society raises money for. To find a cure, so that future generations don’t have to go through what people before them have. Currently Alzheimer’s society have raised around £10 million for dementia drug research

You can help too, whether it’s telling a friend, holding a fundraising event or even donating your time to help out at one of their bases. Remember every penny counts towards beating Alzheimer’s disease.

Sandy’s story

“One afternoon, I left work and did not know how to get home. This was the start of a "downhill no return" into the Alzheimer's world. I am now in my world, a world of confusion, fatigue, and most days, in severe pain.
I know there are days that I am more confused than others, and there are some days I am more agitated than others. I used to be this very independent, overachiever. And now, I am this very dependent underachiever, which causes me much frustration. Where things used to be very easy for me, all things now I find very complicated – even the easiest task. But I now have a part-time caregiver, and she has been a lifesaver for me. She gets me out of the house, and I try to with my time with her help others. I go to a support group meeting near my home, which has been very helpful. I am hoping there will be a support group for early-onset Alzheimer's disease coming to my area very soon, and I am looking forward to it.”

If you don’t want this to happen to you or your family then please, spread the word!

If you would like to know more then visit their website!

Thank you so much for reading our blog and if it’s okay could you please answer some questions in the comments?

Do you now feel more informed about how Alzheimers Society can aid people with dementia?

Would you be prepared to do any of the following to help Alzheimers Society in their mission to eventually eliminate dementia…?

this number needs to go up and up if we are to beat Alzheimer’s disease. To raise money, Alzheimer’s society hold fundraising events such as: fun runs and raffles.
  1. Make a donation to Alzheimers Society?
  2. Take part in a fundraising event or campaign?
  3. Tell your family and friends about Alzheimers Society to either inform them or encourage them to take part in any of the above
If you do leave a response, please let us know where abouts you’re from (e.g. hometown and country – if not UK.)
THANKS!

1 comment: